Do you recall my posting about this situation nearly two months ago? Well, I've finally gotten around to the repair! As you will see it wasn't a hard job, but a task with many steps.
I never did get the full story of how the rod was pulled out of the wall. However, when the repair was complete I did tell the kids if anything like this should happen again it would be their responsibility to figure out how to get it fixed...and pay for it! (Oh yes...aren't I such a tough mom?!)
Removing the rod and hardware left quite the gaping hole.
Luckily I had this product, Joint Compound, on hand from when I replaced the fireplace tile and mantel while working on the Family Room Design.
It goes on with a pretty pink tone...
...and turns to white when dry. These holes were deep and the compound cracked, as I anticipated it would once dry, so two applications were required.
After this layer dried the excess compound around the hole was sanded off with fine grit sandpaper.
Then the area was wiped clean with a damp cloth.
My goal was to repair the wall around the hole to look as it had before the rod came down, so I applied a spray texture, in sweeping lines around the repaired hole.
While the texture dried the rod was reinstalled.
Fortunately the lower hole for the bolts had remained intact on both sides of the wall, but the upper ones had been ripped out with the chunks of drywall. So after the plate was attached with the lower blots, toggles were used to secure the upper section of the brackets.
Once the brackets and rod were back in place, the wall around the hardware was painted.
Finally, the last step was to snap the caps into place over the brackets. I'm so happy that you can't even see evidence of the repair!
So, all is well that ends well. But seriously, I had better not be doing this repair again anytime soon...my attitude will most certainly be far less pleasant.