With stormy weather and recaps of the Oscars airing yesterday morning, I thought it was a great time to begin making slipcovers for the two dining room chairs that will sit at each end of the newly refinished table. The goal of this project is to create durable covers that can be washed often while also covering the chair legs, which simply don't look that great next to the legs of the table.
I decided to use a drop cloth to make the slipcovers. Not only was it inexpensive, but they will be able to survive many washings if needed.
I got a few tips on how to approach this project from the blog Pink and Polka Dot. The most important tip was the suggestion to drape the fabric over the chair wrong side out, enabling the seams to be pinned in place. Afterwards seams are sewn along the lines the pins have been placed. This made me realize covering a chair could be very similar to draping a garment on a dress form, which after working in fashion for 12 years I'm familiar with...so I was good to go!
I began at the chair backs, and decided the best way to have success with the slipcovers was to repeat the seams seen on the existing upholstery.
After the backs were draped, I moved on to the seat covers. It was fun to listen to reports on the Oscars and opinions on what everyone wore while working on this project. I think my favorite dress of the evening was Halle Berry's gown by Marchesa, completely gorgeous.
Tucks were pinned at the front seat corners followed by the seat cover getting pinned to the back side panel at the "L" on the chairs.
To create a finished look along the lower chair edge where the skirt will be attached, I decided to add a band of trim. The circumference of the chair was measured and lengths of fabric were cut and sewn to make the welting.
Finally it was time to remove the pinned cover and sew seams along all the pin lines.
Afterwards the cover was turned right side out and slipped back over the chair. The trim was pinned into place, following the existing seam line seen on the chair upholstery. Next the cover was removed once again to sew the trim in place. (Take it off, put it on, take it off...put it on! Hum, there was probably a better way.)
And this is as far as I have gotten, but great progress for one morning I'm thinking. Next the skirts will be draped in place, sewn on, and that should be it! Hopefully tomorrow...
In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, entry for a chance to win a $250 gift certificate to Modern Bird Studios by leaving a comment here!