Wednesday, November 3, 2010
I knew this wall needed something. It's a large portion of what is seen when walking into the Master Bedroom, so how boring to leave it plain! To remedy this situation I decided to create an art wall, but was unsure about what to hang. I looked through all our art and photos, but apart from realizing there would be no need to purchase any new frames, I was not feeling inspired.
Then, while writing the Ideabook Bedroom Art Walls for Houzz, I saw one example that had placed an architectural letter alongside the various images. Ah ha, I like this idea! So I found paper mache letters and painted them to look as if they are made from metal. (To make your own, see the tutorial here.)
The letters turned out great and I love how their "metal" finish relates well to the DIY Canvas & Nail Head Trim project, hanging above the settee.
When designing a room it can be very effective to think about pulling elements from one part of the room to another, helping the various areas in a space feel connected to one another. This can result in a design that feels cohesive. Taking this into consideration, and not finding any images or artwork I just had to include on the art wall (apart from a wedding photo!) I decided to create "art" by framing fabrics used in the room. The headboard, drapery and pillow fabrics, as well as two other remnants which looked great in the mix and repeated the color palette of the room, were placed in frames.
A section of fabric used to make the Upholstered Headboard Wall was put in an unused frame.
A small piece of fabric and trim used to make pillows for the settee fit in an old frame, painted to fit the color scheme of the room.
Using a piece of fabric leftover from adding panels to the drapes, the back of a shadow box was lined. Then a pin, which was a gift from a special client and friend years ago, was attached to the fabric. I had also thought about including part of a note, but in the end I couldn't really make it look right...another time.
I was tempted to start hanging the frames without a real plan, hoping I liked the outcome. But I've had success in the past making a paper template, so instead I pulled out kraft paper and arranged the frames on the paper until I was happy with the composition. Afterwards outlines of the frames were traced, using a square to help with the placement.
The paper was then taped to the wall in the desired position...
...and after measuring the placement of the hooks on the back of each frame, the corresponding spot was marked on the paper, indicating where to nail the hanging hardware.
Then the hanging began. I must be strange, I think this process is so much fun...seeing each image being hung, watching the arrangement come together on the wall!
I am really pleased with the result! The art wall is simple and has subtle meaning with the "M", "I" and a wedding photo of my husband and I included in the group. The colors, finishes and fabrics used are very effective in helping create a very cohesive look throughout the room, with nearly all the elements of the room represented in this small collection. The style of the art wall is also fairly masculine. In a master bedroom shared by both genders, balancing feminine and masculine design styles throughout the room help both occupants feel at home...and in this case went a long way in my getting away with placing the feminine settee in this room!