Friday, June 18, 2010
The main fabrics to be used in the Master Bedroom Redesign arrived last week and seeing how great they looked together was exciting. They include the Canton Bazaar chinoiserie print in walnut, which I just used to cover the lampshades, the Shadow Branch in Chili Pepper, which will be used to reupholster the bergere chair, and a fabulous geometric print, the Bocce in Cocoa, which will become a headboard.
In this project the center portion of the wall, where the bed is placed, will be covered with fabric from the top of the ceiling to the floor. I've referred to it as upholstering the wall, but what I'm really doing is building a large headboard which will cover the entire area.
To prepare for the start of the project, three panels of fabric were sewn together to create the desired width of 95 inches. This width is made up of a wide center panel and two narrow lengths on each side, similar to how a duvet is pieced together.
It seems everytime I begin a project using a long length of fabric I find myself at this spot in my home. Are you getting familiar with it?! In the absence of a long cutting table, I'm happy to have this floor space.
I began by cutting two lengths of fabric, each 106" long. It was very important to begin the top cut of each panel at the exact point on the print. Afterwards the second panel was laid face down on the first panel. Next the sides were pinned together precisely, making sure to match up the print between the top and bottom panels. Doing this allowed the fabric to be sewn together without creating a break in the pattern, across the expanse of fabric. (See third photo below.)
Once the sides were pinned in placed the seams were sewn together, stitching down the center of the motif located near each side seam. Doing this nearly makes the seam disappear when the fabric is opened.
Next about a twelve inch width of fabric was cut away from the center of one of the panels, down its length. This cut created the two narrow side panels, one on either side of the center section.
Next week, as the project progresses, I'll post the remaining steps taken to put together the headboard and attach it to the wall. In the meantime...
I'll be hammering in some nail head trim. Count them. I purchased 8 bags of 100 nails each and the bags are quickly being emptied!
Here's a glimpse of where this all is headed...so far, so good!
And, if you haven't entered for a chance to be one of the two winners of my Stella & Dot Giveaway, click here to enter. The Giveaway ends tonight at midnight and the winners will be announced over the weekend. Good luck!