The first project in the Big Boy's Bedroom is to update (for the second time!) a pair of lamps found several years ago at TJ Maxx. The bases were originally a very bright neon yellow glass, which was probably the reason for their very low price tags. A layer of primer and brown paint fixed the color problem, and the beige drum shades were covered with a striped red and tan fabric. Cute and just right for the first room I put together for Max.
We're no longer in that home and it's finally time to give Max's current room some attention. After our interview, in which he informed me his favorite color is black and that he wants a chalkboard in his room, I got an idea.
Would it work to turn these lamps into a pair of Chalkboard Lamps? I've never seen any, but I had all the needed supplies on hand so why not give it a try. It just might be a fun way to reinvent these lamps, so I jumped right in.
After lightly sanding the surface, to remove the texture I had added to the lamp bases during their first transformation, a bit of the primer shows beneath the brown paint. The second lamp has already moved on to the next step, in which the bases are painted with a layer of tinted primer.
Once the primer dries the bases are then painted with Chalkboard Paint.
Several hours later (I didn't wait 24 hours...oh well, all will be just fine) I covered the chalkboard surface with chalk, using the edge of the stick. If you read my posts on the chalkboard wall in the Home Office Redesign, you know this is done so that once the surface is written on it will be erasable.
Then the chalk was rubbed into the surface...
and wiped away. LOVE!!
When Max came home from school I handed him some chalk and this is what he wrote...
and then drew.
Oh...I LOVE these lamps! Later they were carried up to the room and inspired the next step for the redesign. Look for that tomorrow. I just wish all the projects for this bedroom could be so fast and simple!