This pretty Venice fabric was found at Calico Corners. (No, they don't pay me...but perhaps they should due to how much I talk about their fabrics!) The print works beautifully with the other prints already used on the drapes and bedding in the Girl's Dream Bedroom.
The seat cover was removed and the frame sanded. This took about an hour. As the wood was going to be painted, not stained, not all of the previous finish needed to removed. Just cleaned up, taking off the top layer of varnish and stain to achieve a smooth surface.
A multitude of staples where taken out and the old fabric and lining removed. The foam was in good shape, so there was no need to replace it. Looking back I suppose I could have, but it will do.
I cut a new lining from a thick soft fabric I had left over from my fashion business days. This substantial fabric added a lot of padding, so keeping the existing foam was an okay choice. I hear my favorite upholsterer strongly disagreeing with me! Oh well, I didn't have any on hand and this was a one day job.
The lining was stapled to the board, starting at the center of each side and working out. It helps to slightly pull the fabric as you staple so that the end result is smooth and just tight enough so that the lining doesn't shift, leading to sagging. Don't want that...
The newly covered cushion was then turned over and placed on the portion of the print I wanted centered on the seat. I quickly cut around the seat shape with approximately a 2.5" wide allowance so that there was enough fabric to wrap around to the back.
Again, the fabric was stapled to the board, starting at the center of each side and working outwards. At the corners you'll need to pull the fabric a bit harder so that the result is a smooth corner with no puckers.
Ah...love it. The placement of the pattern feels right to me, water at the bottom, sky at the top with the buildings running across the center and down the sides.
Next the frame was painted. I worked on this project in the playroom while the kids had fun with their new Christmas toys. Usually I'd find myself in the garage, but if I was careful I figured this location would work. I pulled out an old sheet, folded it over several times (my painting tarp is too dirty to be placed on clean carpet!) and started painting, with a brush. No spray this time. For obvious reasons.
First primer and then a coat of SW 6126 Navajo White was brushed on. I wasn't certain whether I wanted the frame to be white or a pale turquoise, but started with white knowing I could move on if I decided against the white.
I did. The white frame got lost against the desk. So next I brushed on a layer of SW 6478 Watery, letting a bit of the white show through in areas. Better, but it still needed something...
So I pulled out my faithful supply of Rub'n Buff, in Grecian Gold. I lightly traced the outer lines of the frame with the metallic wax.
Lovely. This gave the frame just the definition and subtle detail it needed.
So while I adored the slipper chair in this room, this seat is a bit more functional to use while working and drawing at the desk. I love the color of the frame (same as the wall) and the mix this new fabric brings to the design. Fun.
And the best part, the project was easy on the pocket as I had the chair and all the supplies, with the exception of the fabric. In additional, it took just a few hours and Isabella loves it!
Though she did have this to say, "If you didn't stop to take photos you'd get done a lot faster."