I've got nothing that pretty to show you at the end of this post, just a blank slate and a demonstration that DIY can be a slippery slope. Once you begin it can be hard to stop and it's probably best to have at least an idea of where you are going! I think I do.
It started with this one single cabinet hanging up there all alone on the wall. I have a thing about single cabinets somewhat randomly placed in a kitchen, they bug me. So I took it down. It was a bit tricky at first figuring out exactly how it was hung and how to take it down without damaging it, (perhaps it can be used elsewhere, in the garage or even sold or donated) but once I got the hang of it (no pun intended) the job was pretty easy!
And I was crushing on the after. The kitchen felt immediately more open and light.
So naturally, over the next couple of days I kept eyeing this one in the corner every time I passed through the kitchen.
So down it went.
Okay. That was easy. I like it. I'm just going for it!
(And for a little background info so this doesn't seem completely random and crazy stupid, when we moved in I purposely put nothing in all the upper cabinets just to see if we needed them or not, exploring the idea that maybe the uppers could go. So there is a plan. This is the upside of getting rid of so much junk. In the previous house, when I packed up the kitchen, I can't tell you how much stuff I came across tucked into all those cabinets that hadn't even been touched since placing it into the recesses when moving in 6 years prior. All that went bye, bye. And when you don't have extra stuff... you have design options!)
First I took off the doors. Yep, I can see this... they are coming down!
The only hiccup I ran into was some 20 plus feet of wiring tucked behind and running along the top of this wall of cabinetry. Obviously not installed when the house was built, apparently the previous owner had tied in additional wiring to two existing outlets and tucked it away to add under cabinet lighting. It was easy to remove; all I did was turn off the power, open up two switch plates and remove the extensions, afterwards pulling yard upon yard of wiring out from behind the walls. Actually I felt relieved having that wiring gone, who knows if this was even up to code, right?!
Once the wiring was gone it was breeze to remove the remaining cabinets, with the exception of the microwave and cabinet above hiding venting to the outside. I had intended to leave these up until I found the wall hood that would be installed in its place. Oh, what the heck. That looks silly. They're gone too.
(And in case you are wondering about this box moving along under each cabinet as it was taken down, it caught the cabinet for me as it came down off the wall. These suckers were heavy and placing a box underneath made it a safe one person job. Resourceful determination?)
Now this all happened in a morning, and I hadn't woken up intending to tackle this job. Starring at the after wall, I could visualize its future, but could my unsuspecting husband upon returning home that evening?
Luckily I had some of this on hand, and paint. Best to make it look a little prettier before its reveal!
Aw... better! And he liked it, and my vision for where this is going. Phew.
And just where is it going? A range hood has been found and will soon be installed. The walls will eventually be wrapped with planks painted white, new countertops, painted cabinetry and perhaps a couple open shelves. That's the general plan, the specifics will play out one step at a time and I'm pretty excited. I'm not sure exactly why, but I feel an amazing sense of freedom with this house, to make it exactly what I (and my family) want, rather than to be overly concerned with resale value and what someone else might find fabulous. Perhaps because we hope to have this house for a long time, perhaps because we put a significant amount down and I've never actually been so close to fully owning a home. But whatever the reason, I love how this feels and the process of turning this house into our smaller dream home!